Looking to replace handle on storm door?
Either you can get it done by a professional locksmith or do it by yourself.
If you are looking for a DIY route to replace a storm door handle, we have come up with this step-by-step guide for you.
However, if you ever feel that things are beyond your DIY expertise, make sure to hand over the job to any professional locksmith.
If you have made up your mind to replace the door handle on the storm door, let’s get started with this DIY guide.
Gather Required Tools and Materials:
First thing first, keep all the necessary tools for this project before you start the project which are
- Cordless drill
- Drill bit set
- 4-in-1 screwdriver
- New door handle and latch
This project can take around 10 minutes and requires nothing more than a screwdriver and, in some cases, a drill. Remember to choose the right replacement handle, adjust as needed, and test the functionality before considering the job done.
STEP 1: Remove the Old Handle:
- Unscrew both interior latch-mounting screws using a screwdriver.
- Pull the interior and exterior handles apart, separating them.
- Remove the center spindle.
- Discard the old handle.
STEP 2: Choose the Right Replacement:
- Measure the distance from the edge of the door to the center of one of the three vertically spaced mounting holes. This measurement is the backset.
- Purchase a new handle with the same backset or use the provided drilling template to relocate the 5/16-in. mounting screw holes.
STEP 3: Assemble the New Handle:
- Assemble the outside lever components of the new handle.
- Insert the center spindle into the assembled components.
STEP 4: Install the New Handle:
- Align the new handle with the mounting holes on the screen door.
- Insert the mounting screws through the handle and tighten them using a screwdriver.
- Ensure that the handle is securely attached.
STEP 5: Check the Strike Plate:
- If the old strike plate is not compatible with the new screen door latch, remove it.
- Install the new strike plate included in the screen door latch kit.
- Make sure the latch engages smoothly with the new strike plate.
STEP 6: Test the New Handle:
Operate the new lever handle to ensure smooth and easy opening and closing of the screen door.
By following these steps, you can replace handle on storm door and latch with a new lever handle, providing an updated and functional look to your screen door.
Replacing Door Handle Not Your Cup of Tea? Let Us Do This for You
Hope that these DIY instructions will help you replace your storm door handle on your own. However, not everyone has the expertise to fiddle with nuts, screws, plates, and knobs. Maybe they don’t have time for the process. On top of that, one should be confident enough to take on such projects.
Don’t worry. If you think that replacing the door handle is not your cup of tea, our professional locksmiths can help you.
When to Upgrade Door Handle On Storm Door
Signs of Wear:
If you notice visible signs of wear such as rust, chipping paint, or a generally worn appearance, it’s a clear indication that your handle might be reaching the end of its lifespan. Aesthetics aside, a deteriorating handle can compromise the functionality and security of your storm door.
Difficulty in Operation:
Is your storm door handle becoming stubborn, requiring more effort to open or close? If you find yourself struggling to turn the handle or noticing a delay in the latch release, it’s a red flag. Difficulty in operation can result from internal mechanisms wearing out, which poses a risk not only to your convenience but also to the security of your home.
Loose or Wobbly Handle:
If you notice any wobbling or detect a loose grip when using the handle, it’s time for closer inspection. A loose handle compromises the structural integrity of the door, making it susceptible to damage and reducing its overall effectiveness.
Persistent Locking Issues:
A storm door handle with a locking mechanism should engage smoothly and securely. If you’re experiencing persistent issues with locking or unlocking the door, it’s a sign that the internal components may be failing. Ignoring this can compromise the safety of your home, making it imperative to address the problem promptly.
Outdated Style or Functionality:
Perhaps your storm door handle is still functional, but it’s outdated or no longer meets your needs. Styles and technologies evolve, and upgrading your handle can be a simple yet effective way to enhance the overall look and performance of your storm door. Modern handles often come with improved security features and aesthetic options to complement your home’s design.
OVER TO YOU…
So, there you have it—a simple, DIY guide on how to replace handle on storm door. We wish you good luck with your DIY door handle project. Don’t worry. You can call our Phoenix locksmiths anytime.